Nurses are the life force of the medical industries. Nurse Practitioners are an Advanced Practice Registered Nurse (APRN), and typically holds either a Master’s or Doctoral degree in Nursing. They have addition training and specialisation certifications. The American Association of Nurse Practitioners refer NPs as “Partners in Health”, and their role is described as “licensed and autonomous clinicians focused on managing people’s health conditions and preventing diseases.”
Due to their advanced educational qualifications, Nurse Practitioners can often practice independently and perform similar functions like a doctor like- prescribing medication and physical examination, diagnosing medical conditions, and provide advanced medical intervention.
How to get nurse practitioner jobs?
To land nurse practitioner jobs you would need to follow a path of education and clinical experience.
- Graduate high school- your course work should include subjects like chemistry, biology, anatomy, psychology, and statistics as per availability.
- Obtain a Graduate degree- most employers prefer potential nurse practitioners to have graduated from a 4 year accredited program. The 2 year Associate Nursing degree is also an option. But those with an ASN degree needs to undertake bridging courses to become a nurse practitioner.
- Obtain a RN certification- all nurse practitioners are Registered Nurses, by passing the National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurse (NCLEX-RN).
- Gain experience- in the field of nursing, experience matters the most. Accumulate 1-2 years of experience in the specialisation field of your choice.
- Get higher degree- Nurse practitioners need a minimum of Masters degree in Nursing (MSN). Nowadays, the 4 year DNP or the doctoral program in nursing is being preferred.
- Obtain required licensure and certifications- certification and licensure vary from state to state. Specialisation certifications require to be updated by passing examinations after a stipulated time. Certifications can be obtained from various organisations like American Nurses Credentialing Centre (ANCC), American Academy of Nurse Practitioners Certification Board (AANPCB), American Association of Critical-care Nurses (AACN), Pediatric Nursing Certification Board (PNCB), American Association of Nurse Practitioners (AANP), and National Certification Corporation (NCC).
Specializations available for Nurse Practitioners
nurse practitioner jobs require potential candidates to have specialization in popular fields. NPs are valuable member of medical fraternity. Some of the popular specialization areas for NPs are:
- Acute Care
- Family Medicine
- Neonatal Care
- Women’s Health
Some other popular sub-specializations for Nurse Practitioners include in the departments of Cardiology, Endocrinology, Orthopaedic, Gastroenterology, Oncology, Neurology, Urology, Pulmonology and Respiratory medicine, and Sports medicine, and Travel NPs.
To become a successful Nurse Practitioner, you need to be compassionate, confident, level headed, and analytical under duress.
UHC Staffing can help dreams to turn into reality
According to Bureau of Labor Statistics, there would be humungous demand for Nurse Practitioner. The projected growth rate of 31% increase in demand by 2028, is higher than any other field. NPs are employed at hospitals, outpatient centres, educational institutes, care homes, and they can also practice individually. The average salary of NPs is around $107,300, as of 2018.
United Health Care Staffing can help you land the most lucrative job as per your educational qualifications and personal requirements. We have helped tens of thousands of people land their dream job!